The Greek Oil Industry is regulated by Law 3054/2002 (as amended) and the relevant Licensing Regulation.
The following companies are activated in the Greek market:
- 2 refinement companies with 4 refineries.
- 25 Petroleum Marketing companies holding a type A license, with storage and trading facilities throughout Greece.
- 21 companies holding a type Β1 or/and Β2 license for marine or/and jet fuels, with facilities for the replenishment of ships in harbours and with stations for the replenishment of aircrafts in almost 25 airports. 12 of them also hold a type A license.
- 19 companies holding a type C license – namely license to trade LPG, with installations or/and LPG bottling plants. 2 of them also hold a type A license.
- 10 companies holding a type D license – namely a license to trade Asphalt. 7 of them also hold a type A license.
- 1 company holding a License to Transport via Pipeline. The company is active in the transportation of Jet fuels from the Refineries at the E. Venizelos Airport.
- 5.900 active service stations.
- In Greece there is 1 service station for every 1,770 inhabitants, while the average equivalent in the EU is 1 service station for every 3,250 inhabitants.
- approximately 250 Heating Oil Resellers.
The following are used for the transportation and distribution of fuels:
- a pipeline network
- approximately 1.200 Public fuel trucks
- approximately 200 Private fuel trucks of the Trading Companies
- approximately 8.000 Private small trucks for the distribution of heating oil
The Sales for 2021 were:
- Domestic Market: 6.421.125 tons
- International Market: 3.278.796 tons
- Both Markets: 9.699.921 tons